Big Problem with webpart manager webpart pages, etc

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Ok, I am doing the following.

1st.  I created a website collection with the publishing portal template
2nd. I edit the homepage because I want to change the page layout, I select blank webpart page and it works.

No the problem is.
If I select minimal.master and set it as master and custom masterpage, I got this error
Error
An unexpected error has occurred.
Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
Correlation ID: 747bc122-4943-47a4-b304-99c1e5fc1d54
Date and Time: 2/14/2011 10:35:19 AM

System.Web.HttpException: Cannot find ContentPlaceHolder 'PlaceHolderPageDescription' in the master page '/_catalogs/masterpage/minimal.master', verify content control's ContentPlaceHolderID attribute in the content page.    at System.Web.UI.MasterPage.CreateMaster(TemplateControl owner, HttpContext context, VirtualPath masterPageFile, IDictionary contentTemplateCollection)     at System.Web.UI.Page.get_Master()     at System.Web.UI.Page.ApplyMasterPage()     at System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit()     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

If I use my own mastarpage that I downloaded from codeplex.
http://startermasterpages.codeplex.com/

I used starter_publishing.master, created it, checked in, approved it
When I tried to approve it, I got this error
System.Web.HttpException: Cannot find ContentPlaceHolder 'PlaceHolderCalendarNavigator' in the master page '~masterurl/default.master', verify content control's ContentPlaceHolderID attribute in the content page.    at System.Web.UI.MasterPage.CreateMaster(TemplateControl owner, HttpContext context, VirtualPath masterPageFile, IDictionary contentTemplateCollection)     at System.Web.UI.Page.get_Master()     at System.Web.UI.Page.ApplyMasterPage()     at System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit()     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

SO, in site collection admin, I went to master page and I had to select v4.master

What I want to do its very simple, And I do not want to touch system files.

I want to create a custom master page, from scratch or with the minimal things? or maybe I need to start with v4.master?
Because I want that after creating the custom master page, I can change the layout to Blank webpart page, thats not too much to ask

Suggestions pls