3
Vote

Suggested Improvements to Publishing Starter

description

1. Remove #contentBox

It has a min-width on it that makes it tough to work with responsive sites. Perhaps just duplicate the styles associated with it to a new class--outside of the min-width of course.

2. Add breadcrumbs

Here is a Github Gist with the markup https://gist.github.com/cpoteet/c857cf9b0cc9f3f75f13

3. Add in markup for quick launch

Is there a reason it is omitted?

4. Remove content-type meta. It's redundant with your existing charset

http://blog.whatwg.org/the-road-to-html-5-character-encoding

5. Add the following attributes to the search box that make working with it easier (RenderTemplateId, ServerInitial Render, and Initial Prompt
<asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderSearchArea" runat="server">
      <SearchWC:SearchBoxScriptWebPart 
             UseSiteCollectionSettings="false" 
             EmitStyleReference="false" 
             ShowQuerySuggestions="true" 
             ChromeType="None" 
             UseSharedSettings="false" 
             TryInplaceQuery="false" 
             ServerInitialRender="false" 
             RenderTemplateId="~sitecollection/_catalogs/masterpage/Display Templates/Search/Control_SearchBox.js"
             InitialPrompt="Set custom placeholder text"
             runat="server" 
/>
</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

comments

cpoteet wrote Aug 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I added a version here.

https://github.com/cpoteet/Archetype-SharePoint/blob/master/StarterPublishing.master

I also made some other changes
  • Changed the sitemapprovider for the breadcrumbs to SPSiteMapProvider
  • Added several directives to handle different namespaces in the master page for controls.
  • Moved away from display template for search box because I couldn't get result sources to show. Would like to keep display template if possible.

wrote Oct 21, 2014 at 10:02 PM