Customised master pages inside dialog

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Hi All,

First of all,  just wanted to say to Randy what a fantastic piece of work these master pages are and I totally appriciate you sharing them with the community. 

I do have a question for whomever might be able to help which is half related to the master pages and half just SharePoint 2010 styling.  

We have used the starter master pages to create a custom site.  We have attached the ribbon to the page as this is a fixed width site to get round the fairly common problem with the multiple scrollbars/no scrollbars but we are past all that now.

However, when we call a dialog to point at a page that contains a custom web control which uses the same master page it is rendered as wider than the dialog window and so firstly it looks pretty awful and you have to scroll left and right to see the content.

I have used the s4-notdlg style on all the surrounding images and layout so that all that appears is the DIV that holds the content place holder for the main content but im guessing that because the DIV that holds the page is set to a fixed width, this is being used and rendered within the dialog.

So my question is,  is there a style I can use to override this when displayed within a dialog, or should we create a second master page (or use Minimal.Master) to hold any pages which just hold a web control as a form?

Kind regards

Andy D

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Yeah, I run into this a lot, and basically you need to wipe out a lot of the padding and formatting applied to any of the parent HTML elements that hold the main body content. To reset them with CSS, prepend your custom classes with .ms-dialog, like this:

.ms-dialog .customHolderClass {
  margin: 0 !important;
  padding: 0px !important;
  background-color: white !important;
}

Just remember that you may need to fine a couple of them (any parent element not hidden with s4-notdlg). Also, the !important seems to help.

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Hi Randy,

Sorry for the delay in reply, just got back involved with this project and your tip was a life saver and managed to get most of the dialogs behaving themselves now, so thanks for that.   I do have one other question for you regarding the starter master pages.

We have an image library where users can upload their pictures.  When I use our master page (based on your SMP package) the selection checkboxes do not get displayed.  Viewing the HTML they seem to be there (they have disabled="" and style="visibility:hidden" actually defined inline on the HTML) but they are no where to be seen.  If I use the same list AllItems.ASPX and switch back to the v4.master page then they appear as normal.  Checking out the HTML using the v4.master the same tags  disabled="" and style="visibility:hidden" is there, so we assume there is some JS that is dynamically modifying these to appear at some later point.   Do you know where this is or have you seen the same issue? 

There is a lot of talk on a 2007 problem that was similar when using grouped views, however Ive checked the view and the "group by" section of the view and both of them are set to "none".

Have you seen this?  Some guidance would be awesome..

Thanks,

Andy

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Hmm, haven't run into that, let me do some testing. Might take me a bit.

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:30 PM

HI Randy,

Would be most appriciated,  if you like we could probably give you access to the site in question or at least the source files if it makes things easier.  It may easily be something I have done by mistake rather than be a problem with the core SMP's

Regards,

Andy

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Can you test with the generic starter master page as well (preferably the latest one that has some fixes in it)? I just tested in my setup:

• Create picture library
  • Upload a couple images
  • I see check boxes next to them that can be selected

Let me know if the empty starter master page doesn't work. If it does, then I'm not sure what stopped it from working.

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I downloaded the latest SMP (we are using Foundation just to let you know) and this seems to display the checkboxes fine.  Which does mean either an older version of the SMP had a bug which you have fixed..  Or (far more likely), I have gone and screwed something up in my version of the master page with all the extra styles and stuff.

I can view the HTML and see that the input box is there and it seems to be using its default inline styles of Style="Visibility:HIdden"  and Disabled="" and not being overridden by any JavaScript files, etc.

I have moved a fair few content zones into a panel which is invisible at the bottom of the page, I dont suppose one of them may contain the div for those checkboxes could it?

Andy

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM
drisgill wrote:

Yeah, I run into this a lot, and basically you need to wipe out a lot of the padding and formatting applied to any of the parent HTML elements that hold the main body content. To reset them with CSS, prepend your custom classes with .ms-dialog, like this:

.ms-dialog .customHolderClass {
  margin: 0 !important;
  padding: 0px !important;
  background-color: white !important;
}

Just remember that you may need to fine a couple of them (any parent element not hidden with s4-notdlg). Also, the !important seems to help.

Can documented somewhere in this project? It helped me figure out an issue with the AJAX pop-in cutting off form/fields content when viewing/editing list items.

Here's the generic css that illustrates what I used it for (in an attempt to make the main content area and left navigation have the same height, but different background colors... I had to put them in another div to accomplish it)

.customContentHolder{
  overflow:hidden;
  position:relative;
}

/*reset overflow and positioning in AJAX pop-ins*/
.ms-dialog .customContenHolder{
  overflow:visible;
  position:absolute;
}

Thanks for creating these master pages, they've helped me learn alot!

Nov 24, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Finally solved the issue of the missing check boxes after starting with a new SMP and putting each customisation back in a bit at a time.  Basically I had taken out the following place holder..

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderLeftActions" runat ="server"/>

When I put this back in it returned the checkboxes to teh form however it also brought back a div with a picture preview,  so a bit of CSS magic in the form of..

div#s4-leftpanel
{
    visibility:hidden;
}

got rid of it.

Thanks for everyones help

Regards,

A